Friday, October 3, 2014

Blog Post 5

Many times throughout the reading I have a hard time seeing Rofes ideas and views on homophobia and heterosexism in schools. I would assume this is because of the fact that I didn't have negative experiences in my own high school with this issues. My high school was very open to the GLBT community. There were many kids that I know that came out openly and were accepted for who they were. We had many same sex couples who would walk down the halls holding hands and the student body accepted it as normal. I believe the reason things were this way in my school is because many of the kids who came out were kids who were previously well liked in the school. Towards the end of the discussion in class on Thursday I started to think more of the way things were in my school and I recalled a post I had seen on our schools website just a few days before. The article was on this years homecoming court. As I started to think about the kings and queens I realized that three out of the five of our kings are openly apart of the GLBT community. This reconfirmed my ideas that my school was accepting of the GLBT community and it wasn't just my outlook of the school. I hope that the school I end up working at is also accepting to the GLBT community. As my goal is to be a guidance counselor I hope that I am able to support the GLBT through different allies and clubs at the school. I understand that many people have different views on heterosexism and homophobia but I feel many times that those who are against it usually are the ones who don't understand it. I hope that through my job I can make everyone see the whole picture and then let them make their own judgments based on all the information instead of limited stereotypes.

No comments:

Post a Comment