Monday, September 29, 2014

Blog Post 4

The ability to recognize that the linguistics of students is sometimes a tough tasks for teachers. I feel these linguistics is what makes them each an individual and connects them to their home life. Many times teachers make judgments based on their own experiences and how they feel a certain situation should play out as shown in the quote, "We do not really see through our eyes or hear through our ears, but through our beliefs" by Lisa Delpit. I do not feel the linguistics of a student is wrong or ignorant but yet that a teacher should take this aspects of their students life and try incorporate it into the classroom while also preparing the children for the world ahead of them. I have started to do weekly service through We The People and with the kids I work with I hear the language they use on a daily basis varies from my own language. At times I find myself wanting to "correct" the language but through our readings and theses quotes I have thought against it and instead have tried to learn and understand what they are trying to convey through their own linguistics. I find that making students feel uncomfortable about the words they choose to use makes them shy to talk in the classroom and takes away from their personal identity.  I feel that teachers should always be trying to learn from students just as much as they are wanting their students to learn from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment