Saturday, November 8, 2014

Field Blog 3


During our field visit at Agnon Elementary School I observed Seth Mansell during at 7th grade physical education gym class. I was excited to see an elementary physical education class that day but it so happened that I was there during a middle school time but, the experience turned out the better than I could have asked for. Seth has only been teaching for two years and he currently teaches grades kindergarten through 8th grade. He spent time talking with me how this can be a challenge because each grade is doing something else different and he only has a minute in-between classes to set up. We also discussed the differences between being in a private and public schools. Seth was telling me how when he was my age he never thought about the things such as benefits or time off or any of those things but, he is now realizing that they do make a difference. Yes, a job is a job but, when you are in a private school and $200 dollars is taken out of your check as Seth has. This is opposed to being in a public school where those things are already figured in and in mot case they aren't taken directly out of the teachers’ pay check. In no way was Seth complaining about this because he is says he is so happy to have the job he has but he did say how it does make a difference. The most beneficial thing I got out of this experience was how Seth incorporated the kids spelling words or science formulas into the physical education class.  Seth explained to me how he went to the third grade teachers and got the students spelling words for the week and then during class he put the letters of the alphabet on the wall and they had to practice their throwing skills by spelling words from their spelling list that week. For another grade he had the kids use science formulas for their team names. Seth said he used a lesson plan similar to these during his job interview and was told by the hiring committee that it was the thing that set him apart from the rest of the candidates who interviewed for the job and ultimately was the thing that got him the job.

While I was observing there was only a class of six because they had other testing and such going on that day. Seth adapted the lesson to the best of his ability based on the group he had. He explained to me what he usually would have done and how he adapted to the small group that was there today. The students were playing volleyball that day. They started with a hitting drill where they tossed the ball to Seth who would then set it to allow the kids hit the ball. He would stop and correct them when needed on their technique. He also pushed those who were able to handle it to try and more difficult hits. The students then went into playing a game of volleyball but, since there were only three kids on each team he allowed them to catch the ball once before returning it to the other team. I didn't think would allow the game to move along very well but it actually helped the students. It allowed them to set up a strategy for the best attack they could get. Seth also got involved and jumped into play as well. He explained to me that he gives the students points when they use the skill that they practiced previously in class so today the students would get points when they used the hitting skill.

At the end of the class Seth wrapped up with having the kids teach the hitting skill back to him. Then he printed an example lesson plan out for me that I could take with me to refer to when I start planning lessons. This field experience has been the best so far. It was easy to talk to Seth about the experiences I am currently going through and he gave me advice on what to look out for and things to help me along my way. I aspire to be as good as a physical education as Seth where I really get the kids involved in the activities and wanting to be there. I am excited to go home and do my field visits in an elementary class.

No comments:

Post a Comment